Friday, May 28, 2010

Heavenly Scents

We love our plants.  I'm not too handy with them, but I try.  About 4 years ago I planted a peony bush.  It grew slightly the first year, the second had a terrible frost, and the third year didn't do much better.  This year it is huge and absolutely beautiful.  Big, perfect, fragrant blooms.

I almost never cut blooms from my plants.  We have so much greenery outdoors that I feel guilty for taking away any of the beautiful blooms.  Well, the peonies are so heavy that they sort of begin to fall over, so I thought I should take a few.  You know, for the sake of the peonies.

Here they are in my kitchen.  They light up the room and scent it too!  Five blooms is all it took for this rather large vase.  I've had one of those blooms in there for days.  It's really amazing how long they last.  I used cool water with a little sugar.

I hope you have a lovely weekend!  We'll be spending ours with my sister-in-law.  The kids adore her and we're all very excited.  Hopefully I'll come back with some pictures to share.

7 comments:

Jodie on May 28, 2010 at 12:58 PM said...

Peonies are my favorite!
This morning on Martha Stewart (which I hardly ever watch) they had a segment on peonies, included how to enjoy the blooms up to 6 months later. http://www.marthastewart.com/article/guide-to-peony-forms have a good weekend :)

Tester on May 28, 2010 at 1:16 PM said...

What a very cool article! Thank you for sharing :)

Unknown on May 28, 2010 at 1:56 PM said...

I adore Peonies ... there is something so soft and romantic about them ... a bit nostalgic, as well! Your bouquet is lovely ... I hope it lasts a long time!

Have a great weekend!

Jen on May 29, 2010 at 2:18 PM said...

Oh wow they are lovely. I need to get one of these bushes!

lar1203 on May 31, 2010 at 9:20 PM said...

so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Was just reading about indoor air quality. Bringing fresh flowers into the home is a wonderful way of adding a lovely scent to your living area without also adding toxins. Your peonies are just gorgeous, by the way!
-Deb for Ecover

Jodie on June 24, 2010 at 10:10 PM said...

I tried the refrigerator method of saving the peonies and it worked. Some opened within a few hours, some took a few days. I only had them in for a few weeks though since I was saving them for a party. I wish I had more bushes...and more fridge space to save more in the future.

Post a Comment

Newer Older Home
 
Copyright © 2010 The Eco-Friendly Family