Thursday, December 29, 2011

Consider me 'Baff'led

On Christmas Eve my husband and I were sitting and enjoying some fun conversation with the family when a commercial came on the television that grabbed our attention....

I nearly died from laughter and the need to tell you all about it.

Please, enjoy!


Now you can turn your water into squishy goo! 
Turn your bathtub into a gooey adventure with Squishy Baff!

Environmentally Friendly (LMAO!!!  For real?)
No Artificial Fragrance (What about the color?)
Won't Clog Drains (Yea, the drain is what concerns me here.  Thanks for clearing that up!)
No Preservatives (I won't even go here.)
No Irritants (Oh this one is GOLD!)
Make in the UK (Junk made in the UK is apparently better than junk make elsewhere.  Good to know?)
Not Tested on Animals (Oh sweet, so it's tested on... our kids?)

Bonus point if you already know what this is made of before I tell you....
.
.
.
.
Yep! It's Sodium Polyacrylate - a.k.a. The stuff they put in disposable diapers to absorb a baby's urine.


Sodium Polyacrylate is a polymer that starts out as a powdery substance, when introduced to moisture, it can absorb 400-500 times its own weight.  The FDA has labeled it as GRAS, Generally Recognized As Safe, though I think most of us here can appreciate the fact that the FDA doesn't always get it right.  

*cough*All off the crap in standard products and foods that we have to work to avoid.*cough*

Okay, silliness aside, Sodium Polyacrylate isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's certainly not something you want on your child.  SP is a skin & eye irritant to start with.  Who wants to play in skin & eye irritants?

Did you know that SP was once a component in tampons, but was outlawed due to the substantial increased risk of TSS (want to know more about TSS, visit You-Are-Loved.org).  As I mentioned before, it can also be found in disposable diapers and has been implicated as a contributor to staph infections.  I'm not saying it will cause one, but it could contribute, and staph infections are serious - deathly serious.

According to EWG (Cosmetic Database) SP is classified as expected to be toxic or harmful. It lists an organ toxicity risk due to contamination concerns with Methacrylic Acid, Acrylic Acid & 2-Ethylhexyl Acrylate.  It also lists it as 'considered safe based on assumption of low absorption' - keep in mind that they are relating this to the tiny amount found in cosmetic products, not what's found in a diaper full, nor a 'baff'tub full.

This product has me half cracking up at the insanity of it all (Honestly, who thinks "Hey this idea is a winner!"?), but more seriously, it has me concerned for parents who may not realize what this product is made from, nor how their child's skin may react.

I would love to hear your impressions!

20 comments:

Bethany on December 29, 2011 at 10:50 AM said...

I saw that commercial too! I couldn't believe my eyes and ears....

FreeIndeed on December 29, 2011 at 1:40 PM said...

wow, what companies stoop to in order to make money, so sad

FreeIndeed on December 29, 2011 at 1:41 PM said...

i'm sharing this post so hopefully it will save some poor kid from being subjected to swimming in chemical-nastiness!

TeachinAuntie on December 29, 2011 at 2:27 PM said...

GROSS! Also, what do they use to turn it back into water?

Elizabeth on December 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM said...

Scary!

Elizabeth on December 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM said...

Scary!

Elizabeth on December 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM said...

Scary!

Sarah on December 29, 2011 at 7:27 PM said...

This is just awful! I haven't seen that commercial, but thank you for posting this. Seriously. I can't believe this is a "product" marketed to kids!

Jessica S. on December 29, 2011 at 11:59 PM said...

Holy cow, that's horrifying!

Cyndel on December 30, 2011 at 8:38 PM said...

By-passing the health aspects for a moment...this totally would creep me out...esp as a kid...I have a thing about textures so does my son.
As for the health aspects what if a kid gets this stuff in his mouth which is HIGHLY likely!!! {{{{Shudder}}}}

figwittage on January 1, 2012 at 3:18 PM said...

that is absolutely disgusting! my little guy loves to lick his bath water and i only use california baby products!

Anonymous said...

Friends of ours were given this as a present, they tried it, and their 2 y/o wouldn't even get in the bath. She was like "what the heck is going on here Mom"?!

That's pretty nasty, how does this pass health standards?

Andrea on January 3, 2012 at 3:30 PM said...

So what is the powder that "turns it back to water?"

Tester on January 3, 2012 at 3:44 PM said...

The powder that liquefies it is salt. From many of the reviews I've read, it appears that it doesn't properly dissolve it and many people complain of clogged drains as a result.

Stacey Rhodes on January 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM said...

Wow...that is disgusting. And yeah, salt would simply dehydrate the polymer temporarily to get it down the drain, it would probably rehydrate somewhere in the sewer system. But hey, if it doesn't clog up YOUR drain, who cares, right?

Ogedai Khan on January 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM said...

Assume everything else went correctly... then, what? We're just supposed to drain the stuff into the ocean? Sounds like a great idea.

Anonymous said...

What would happen if your child ate this junk?
got it in their eyes (salt based) OUCH! in their ears, up their nose.?

Not a good product for our children.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thanks for the links to your sources, BTW. Doing a research paper for school on cloth versus disposable diapers. Those will come in handy.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

I told my daughter we were not going to get it. And I am glad I vetoed it. My concern was the "substance" getting in to my kids private parts. Causing infections such as uti or yeast or any others. Didn't seem like a gamble I wanted to take. Thank goodness I didn't.

Post a Comment

Newer Older Home
 
Copyright © 2010 The Eco-Friendly Family