When we planted our garden this year I was excited to get in a bunch of tomato plants. I had big plans for salsa making. Oh my goodness, how I love salsa. However, when the tomatoes came on, it was quite clear that somehow we had accidentally planted mostly cherry tomatoes. While they can evidently be used for salsa, it wasn't really what I had planned, so I went searching for ideas on what to do with buckets of cherry tomatoes.It seems that a popular method of cooking basically any garden veggie is to toss it in extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and misc. seasonings. The same is true of cherry tomatoes evidently, but with a slow roasting alteration. I was quite excited to try this method out and I think they turned out pretty great.
You'll need a cookie sheet, about 40 cherry tomatoes, salt, pepper, extra virgin olive oil, garlic and some fresh herbs . I chose to use from fresh thyme from our garden. I picked about eight 2inch sprigs and took off the tiny leaves to use in this dish. I think I could have used more.
Slow-Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
40 Cherry Tomatoes - washed and cut in half
5 Garlic Cloves - minced
1/2 Teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste!)
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper (adjust to taste!)
1-2 Teaspoons of fresh Thyme or other herb of your choosing.
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Place your washed and cut cherry tomatoes in a bowl, adding to it the garlic, salt, pepper, herbs and EVOO. Using your hands, gently toss the tomatoes until well coated.
Arrange your tomatoes on the tray, cut side up. Once you have them all on the sheet, sprinkle the remaining garlic/EVOO mix over your tomatoes.
Place the tomatoes in the oven on a lower rack. Set your temp to 250 degrees and cook them for 3-4 hours (until they reach a texture you like - feel free to taste test!). Remove the tray and let them cool.Once your tomatoes are done you can keep them in the fridge to toss into salads, pastas and anything else that you can think up. If you're a real tomato person you can even snack on these as is. Personally, I'm excited to add them to some of my favorite pasta dishes. I've tried them in my artichoke bruschetta and it was great!











1 comments:
Thanks for sharing, I'm always looking for different ways to use cherry tomatoes! I'm a new follower, check me out and follow back at http://materialgirlgreen.blogspot.com
Post a Comment