Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Good-bye Plastics, Hello Kid Basix

I have been on an effort to make my home plastic free for some time now.  I like how it feels, I love knowing that the products I feed my family from are safe, and I like the statement that it makes.

I often see people asking about recommendations for safe drinking cups, and more specifically, bottles and sippy cups.  If you walk into most stores, you will see what seems like an endless wall of options.  They are not all equal.  If you could see those cups in a different light you might see your son's favorite character covered in a haze of BPA, or your daughter's pretty butterflies becoming sick from phthalates. This isn't to say that all plastics are unsafe.  Companies have been making efforts to use safe, non-leaching plastics and that's great!  Just be sure to read your labels and know what you are buying.  We will talk more about this later :)

My favorite option for all things drink related are the Kid Basix products.  I started researching safe sippy cup options and landed on their website.  I not only found a great sippy cup, I also found a great cup for kids, adults and even a bottle!

I loved the look of these items and wanted to know more. They looked perfect.  They are all made of durable, light weight food grade steel and any parts that are plastic are certified not to have BPA or phthalates.  I was excited!  I thought that they could be just what I was looking for to share with you.  I was given the chance to review them all and I am pleased to say that I love them!

The first one I was excited to try was the Safe Sippy 2.  My daughter loves straws and I have found it very difficult to find cups with straws, let alone cups that are safe with straws.  I love this sippy and so does my daughter.

This cup comes in an 11 oz size and is available in 3 great colors.  As you can see on the left, in addition to a sippy cup adaptor (not pictured), it comes with a straw/adaptor & travel plug.  We like to get out in the summer and we can't wait to go hiking with the kids.  The travel plug will be great for our spare cup in the diaper bag.  No worrying about leaks!

One of the other great things about these products is how easy they are to clean.  I had previously bought other cups for the kids and soon realized that though they had wide mouths, the shapes of the bottles made them harder to clean.  I don't have any issues with cleaning these.  Also, they are dishwasher safe.  So if I have room after my family has destroyed my dishes, they can get popped in there.

The Thermoplastic Rubber sleeves on these products also come of for easy cleaning.  That is so important!  Nothing for germs to hide behind :)

For my son, we didn't need a sippy, but a good cup with a lid.  He's 5, and while he can drink from a cup, he is often in too much of a hurry to do it without making a mess.  That's where the Safe Sporter comes in :)

The Safe Sporter is a favorite around here.  It comes in both a 12 oz & 16 oz size.  The 12 oz is perfect for our 5 year old son.  It's not too heavy to carry when full and it's easy for him to use.  The 16 oz size is great for my husband and me.  I can't wait to take these hiking as well :)  Just like the sippy, the sleeves on these are removable for cleaning.  They also feature a 'coaster' on the bottom.  Not only will it protect the surfaces you set it on, it will prevent you or your lovely children (or so I remind myself when mine are being ornery) from denting the bottom of your cup!

Something I'd like to note is the great shape of these, and the sippy too for that matter.  They all have a waist of sorts and it makes them very easy and comfortable to hold, especially for little hands.  Oh and check it out!  They FIT into car cupholders!!  I can't count the number of bottles we have bought thinking "Yea, that looks like it'll fit," only to be wrong.

Last, but certainly not least is the Kid Basix solution for the smallest member of your family, the Safe Starter.

This bottle has all of the great features of the Safe Sippy & Safe Sporter and comes in both 5 oz and 9 oz sizes.  It features a stainless steel container, silicone sleeve, a storage disc (no leaks in your bag!), a fully vented nipple made of pure, non-toxic silicone and a travel cap that doubles as a measuring cup when you are on the go.

As you may know, babies can be picky about bottles and nipples.  These bottles will also work with the popular Dr. Brown's wide neck nipples.

If you have any other questions about these items please feel free to contact me or check out the Kid Basix FAQ on their site.

I wanted to mention that Kid Basix has generously offered a 25% discount exclusively for our readers.
 
Use Code: EFF2010 

It is valid from March 17th through April 16th.  It cannot be used with any other codes.

FCC Disclaimer: I was provided samples to review. No other compensation was given. All reviews are my own and honest opinions. More information & Giveaway guidelines

2 comments:

Unknown on March 17, 2010 at 1:50 PM said...

I LOVE the SafeSippy 2! My son loves it... he only drinks from straw cups. It's awesome!

Genny on March 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM said...

Following from MBC! So glad to have found your blog. I love learning about new eco-friendly products!

Post a Comment

Newer Older Home
 
Copyright © 2010 The Eco-Friendly Family